BanderasRojas

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 12 August 2013

Skyping with The Duchess and Kid Brother

Posted on 12:20 by Unknown
Throughout the year, I skype weekly with My Mother The Dowager Duchess and Her Other Son The Kid Brother. Fall and winter, we skype every Sunday because The Kid Brother bowls on Saturday. During summer, we skype every Saturday because The Kid Brother plays softball in Central Park on Sunday. It has always been all about him, you know.

1961 AND IT WAS ALREADY ALL ABOUT THE KID BROTHER.
(I'M THE SMALL SHADOWY FIGURE IN THE BACKGROUND.)

On his free day, The Kid Brother takes the bus to visit The Duchess. She loads him up with food (to eat while he's there and to take home). I comment that she really shouldn't do that because he's supposed to be living independently. But, well, she's a mother. The duo "just chill," as The Kid Brother would say, for a couple of hours. We skype for an hour, beginning precisely at 11:00, or The Kid Brother will have something to say about it. (If I dial in at 11:01, the first comment is "You're late!" 10:59? "You're early.")  After our call they head out for lunch. At 12 noon on the dot. Or, again, The Kid Brother will have something to say about it. He's a bit of a stickler.

1984. THEIR FIRST VISIT TO OUR HOUSE IN GEORGETOWN, WASHINGTON, D.C.
(KID BROTHER'S SMILE IS DUE TO LUIGI, OUR LOVEBIRD, SITTING ON HIS HEAD.)

The Duchess took a computing class years ago, but didn't have a computer until December 2011. She's become pretty incredible. She now even sits up high enough in her chair when we skype so I can see more than just the top of her head. The kid brother is a natural with any technology. He connects to Skype every week and he'll answer on his own if I call before The Duchess is in the room.

SATURDAY.  THE DUCHESS AND THE KID BROTHER.
 (I'M THE SMALL SHADOWY FIGURE IN THE UPPER RIGHT CORNER.)

The Duchess has a very kind next-door neighbor who is a musician and music teacher. He asked her if he could store a few string instruments in her apartment for the summer. Of course she said yes. She's got plenty of space. She ended up with a collection of violins, violas, a cello, and more. Every time we skype, if the light is not quite right, it looks like a veiled woman has joined the conversation.

One of these days, I'll have to get The Duchess to hold up her hands. Last week, her nails were orange. Some time back, they were metallic green. She and Slushie (click here) would get along well, I think.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Picking Up a Couple of Sailors
    The Parachute Jump still stands as a recognizable icon of Coney Island.   It was moved to its current location in 1941 from its original spo...
  • Exercising My Demons
    I am trying to get back into the habit of working out regularly.  Obviously, it's great to stay in shape, but it's also really impor...
  • If A Tree Falls In The Plaza
    We had some rain last night. And quite a bit of wind. I didn't open the shutters to see what was going on, but the windows rattled for a...
  • She Acts Like She Owns The Place
    Last night, we had dinner at Carmela, a restaurant in the plaza Santa Maria de la Blanca.  We chose Carmela because, even though it was past...
  • Catalina, Anchovies, and the Duchess of Alba
    I never met an anchovy I didn't loathe... That is until last week at my new favorite restaurant in Sevilla (and maybe anywhere). The che...
  • The Ceramic Monastery Museum and Gardens
    Some of my recent posts have been all about the special exhibit at the Center for Contemporary Art here in Sevilla. You may remember that th...
  • Seeing a Stork in Sevilla: Good or Bad Omen?
    There are a number of superstitions about storks. Among them: 1.  If a stork builds a nest on your house, your house will never burn down no...
  • Watch Your Language
    The last time we went to IKEA (Monday of last week, I think), we had a delightful taxi driver named Paco who talked with us the entire time....
  • Kraft Macaroni and Cheese
    OR WHY I DON'T COOK, PART 2 NOT ME. Even after the shrimp scampi disaster , Jerry was still not convinced that taking turns cooking was ...
  • Who's a Waste of Space?!?
    It still amazes me how I can go from a wonderfully happy, gratitude-filled day to one completely in the dumps. And then back again a day lat...

Categories

  • alameda (1)
  • anchovies (1)
  • anchovy (1)
  • art (1)
  • avenza (1)
  • bananas (1)
  • barcelona (1)
  • beacon+hill (1)
  • best+restaurant (1)
  • boston (1)
  • brooklyn (2)
  • cambridge (1)
  • cannelloni (1)
  • carrara (1)
  • catalina (2)
  • charles (1)
  • chef (1)
  • china (1)
  • cooking (1)
  • dining (1)
  • downstate (1)
  • drawing (1)
  • ed+sullivan (1)
  • erotic (1)
  • españa (1)
  • first+kiss (1)
  • gay (1)
  • gonzalo (1)
  • hercules (1)
  • I (1)
  • italy (1)
  • jrw (1)
  • mitchell+block (1)
  • ponce+de+leon (1)
  • porch (1)
  • restaurants (1)
  • san+diego (1)
  • sevilla (4)
  • seville (3)
  • sheraton (1)
  • spain (3)
  • suny (1)
  • wences (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (141)
    • ►  September (4)
    • ▼  August (18)
      • Put Another Nickel In
      • Thar She Blows!
      • River Zippers
      • Have I Stayed Too Long At The Fair?
      • Forgiving the Unrepentant
      • Feria De Málaga 2013
      • The Beast With Two Backs
      • Hot Air
      • No Body At The Summer Market
      • Surviving The Thirty-Third
      • I Thought One Was Enough
      • It's Yellow!
      • It's Not Sweater Weather
      • A Foggy Day on the Waterfront
      • Skyping with The Duchess and Kid Brother
      • Comforta Bill... And Other Famous Cowboys
      • That Darned Cat
      • Sweet Inspiration
    • ►  July (21)
    • ►  June (18)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (15)
    • ►  March (19)
    • ►  February (12)
    • ►  January (15)
  • ►  2012 (214)
    • ►  December (17)
    • ►  November (18)
    • ►  October (21)
    • ►  September (19)
    • ►  August (20)
    • ►  July (18)
    • ►  June (22)
    • ►  May (25)
    • ►  April (17)
    • ►  March (12)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (16)
  • ►  2011 (145)
    • ►  December (18)
    • ►  November (18)
    • ►  October (16)
    • ►  September (19)
    • ►  August (19)
    • ►  July (16)
    • ►  June (17)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (10)
    • ►  March (6)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile